Tuesday, February 28, 2017

My meatloaf was yea-yore


When Joe was 3, he decided that it was unfair that Jenny and I made up all the words so he too invented a word: yea-yore . It meant completely no-good.  Anything he did not like or want was yea-yore.

It seemed to me to be the only word adequate to describe a meatloaf I made last Friday evening.  I should not have been too surprised by the result as I am no cook but I had nonetheless had hopes.  In theory, what I cooked should have been good.  But it was a bit like global warming theory.  The predictions from the theory were not borne out in practice.

The problem had been that Anne is at the moment on a very restrictive "plain food" diet to fix her indigestion. So I decided that I would make a meatloaf that included only ingredients that were on her "OK" list.  So I went on to the net and found there about 1,000 recipes, all of which included at least four yummy ingredients that Anne cannot at the moment have.  So I decided to use just stuff she can have: The famous "Mixed herbs", grated carrot, eggs etc.

After an hour in the oven, the result was completely tasteless and not even a good texture.  It was definitely yea-yore.  It quite cast me down.  I am used to eating good food so to find that my own creation was yea-yore rather depressed my spirits.  The best I can say of it is that it fed us and did not make us sick, so I suppose that is something.  Lesson learned: Always work to a recipe from someone who really is a cook.

I also cooked for myself the next night and the night after so I cooked bacon & eggs on both occasions to restore my faith that I can cook something. Bacon & eggs is hard to ruin.

No comments:

Post a Comment