Sunday, July 14, 2013

A birthday lunch



Paul and Susan put on a  great lunch in honour of my 70th.  Susan is one crafty lady so had decorated the dining room with lots of photos from my life plus various things commenting on the number 70.

She also as usual provided some very good food.  At my request the food was sandwiches but Susan did a variety of American ones that we don't normally see in Australia.

About 30 people turned up, including people I don't often see, Henningham, my brother Christopher, cousin Shirley, Jill & Lewis.

I had a good chat with several people,  mostly about politics.  We were all wondering whether Kevvy will stick to his new conservative line.  Joe found himself among a wholly conservative gathering, which must have been a contrast to university.

I got lots of presents, all of which were good but Vonnie's present of a whole selection of NZ groceries was particularly interesting.  I now have a jar of NZ Marmite! Plus other rarities.

I am really in Saharah's good books lately.  She met me at the door when I arrived and led me by the hand though the house to where the presents were.  Being well regarded by a beautiful blonde 3-year-old is definitely a privilege.

As I was departing, I noted that Henningham is still a devoted customer of the Ford Motor Co. of Detroit.  I arrived in my 1963 Humber Super Snipe.  Detroit iron vs. good taste?

Many thanks to Prof. Henningham for the photos immediately below.

Cutting the cake
Joe with his old father
Blowing out the candles
With Prof. Henningham
With my brother -- looking his most skeptical
Joe, Sahara and the Humber
My short speech


And now for some pix from Susan, the hostess with the mostest:

 Cuban sandwiches
 The Photo wall
 Schwarzwalderkirschentorte -- my ideal birthday cake
 Jill with our hostess, Susan
Opening the prezzos with Saharah observing

Joe and Nanna with Sahara in her pretty dress which she loves

No comments:

Post a Comment