Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A complex world



All conservatives agree that the world is a complex place that is very resistant to summarization. But sometimes it is also complex enough to be amusing.

A couple of weeks ago I arranged for my son Joe and me to have dinner together so I could point out to him a few things he should know about England -- on the safe assumption that he will go there someday.

I left him to choose the restaurant but he is (like me) very pro-Asian so he drove us out to Sunnybank Hills, which is almost entirely inhabited by people with straight and very black hair, good skin, patient attitudes and narrow eyes. It was almost like being in Asia. We were definitely the odd ones out.

Joe wanted to get us into a very good Japanese restaurant that he knows but there was a long queue of the said black-haired people waiting to get in to it so we went to a nearby Korean restaurant instead - where the food was of course first class.

So the mildly amusing thing is that we discussed England over Korean food amid East Asians! No roast beef or spotted dick in sight!

I did of course mention to Joe the importance of real ale and the inadvisability of shell-suits! I may even have mentioned the significance of Watford to him.

Shellsuits

No comments:

Post a Comment